Learning from mistakes

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery"
~ James Joyce
I decided to do two insight posts this month as I have missed a couple of the past months.

In statistics there is a test for hypothesis which looks at the hypothesis prediction and the actual outcomes over many experiences.  The less errors the more robust the hypothesis.

I decided to do this for my model going back as far as I could. I was curious about my ability to protect in down markets and yet still take advantage of up markets. For my review I called any year where fixed income did the best as a down market and all other years up markets. In alignment with this I looked at my calls and if I had called for a fixed income investment then that was a defensive portfolio, all others were aggressive portfolios. The results are:

Total periods: 359


Analysis: These results show what I expected.  I am capturing 96% of the strong markets (259 of the 271 strong market periods) while still avoiding 27% of the weak market periods (24 of 88). This has allowed the portfolio to accumulate almost all of the strong market results while still dampening over a quarter of the negative periods. 

This is what I would hope for, that is if I have to have errors I want more of them to be with an aggressive portfolio as I am trying to capture all the upside while avoiding as much downside as possible.  Overall I have been right almost 80% of the time, (283 of 359) based on this metric. 

There is no guarantee going forward, but so far so good. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is all the fuss about Bitcoin?

The Retirement Question

Crypto Currency - Just A Worthless Commodity